Sunday, March 19, 2006

First real project: The green scarf

I was looking at my learning squares, and I was wondering what would happen if I took that same pattern and instead of doing the entire row in knit or purl I were to break up the pattern into alternating blocks. This is the result.
It is made out of DiVE Teseo yarn from Italy, and the color is variegated green (39360). This is a self-striping, 55% wool, 45% microfiber yarn. I used size 9 needles. The final dimensions are 6 inches wide and about 60 inches long. This took a little under three balls of yarn.

I cast on 28 stitches and knit garter stitch for 8 rows.
I broke the next row into seven, 4 stitch segments. The outside segments I reserved for garter stitch. The inner five segments I alternated in this fashion: p4 k4 p4 k4 p4. I repeated this row. The next third row I inverted the pattern: k4, p4, k4, p4 k4.
I repeated this 4 row repeat for the length of the scarf. I ended with 8 rows of garter stitch.



I really need learn how to read and write a pattern.

No comments: